Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Beth Robinson

is a self-taught artist who started making "Strange Dolls' in 2003. While she has dabbled in a variety of mediums, it was the discovery of polymer clay that allowed her to combine her interests in sculpting, painting and sewing and gave her a concrete foundation of expression in the form of "Strange Dolls". Beth’s dolls have found homes across the globe from New York to Japan. "Strange Dolls" have been featured in a number of art publications and television appearances. She is currently represented in Berlin, Germany by Strychnin Gallery and maintains a regular studio practice in the South End Art's District in Burlington, Vermont.

STATEMENT
To create my Strange Dolls I sculpt the doll using polymer clay or air dry clays and then design and sew the outfits using vintage or remnant fabrics. I love adding organic material to my creations, I have implemented everything from human hair to teeth to cactus to dried gourds. Common themes that appear in my work are: anthropomorphism, alter ego, and fantasy. I love testing perceptions of the beautiful and sublime with my work.

Dolls represent precious things, sentimentality, innocence and I am attracted to manipulating people's natural response to the doll form by pairing it with the grotesque. The style of the dolls are dark, creepy and macabre. And while they are called "dolls", Strange Dolls are not something you would buy for a child, unless you want to give them nightmares


GALLERY:
Dolls and Wall Reliefs



 

 


VIDEO:
  


LINKS:

Follow Beth Robinson on Twitter
Strange Dolls Website
Strange Dolls Blog
Like Strange Dolls on Facebook
Stange Dolls on Etsy

Beth Robinson answers 25 of the Best

Who was the last person you told “I love you”?
Beth:  My mom. She just arrived for a visit.


What will you find in your refrigerator if you looked right now?
Beth:  Seltzer water & beer. Haven't been shopping yet this week.


What was the last expletive that you used?
Beth:  I'm sure it was "fucking". That tends to be my favorite adjective.


What is something new you would like to learn?
Beth:  How to taxidermy human beings.


What is the worst tasting thing you have ever eaten?
Beth:  Liver. When I was a kiddo, my mom tried to trick us into eating it. She said it was venison. But none of us bought it.


In the film of your life, who plays you and what is the title?
Beth:  I have oddly been compared to Molly Shannon as a celebrity look alike, so I guess she would have to be the lead. The movie would be called "The Preacher's Daughter".


Do you have a secret identity and will you share it? We will not tell...
Beth:  I am a ninja.


Is crying a sign of weakness or strength?
Beth:  "Weakness" if it occurs while drunk-dialing at 3am. "Strength" if you do it while comforting a friend. Especially if you are a man.


Do you remember the last time you saw a random act of kindness?
Beth:  I am really sad to say that no, I honestly can not tell you the last time I saw an act of random kindness.


If your iPod could only hold 3 songs, what would they be?
Beth:  Back to Black - Amy Winehouse, A Little Sugar In My Bowl - Nina Simone, Summer Breeze - covered by Type O Negative.

What are you currently reading?
Beth:  The "Dexter series" of books.


What does love feel like?
Beth:  Safe.


If personalities had an odor, what would you smell like?
Beth:  Gasoline.


Describe your happy place?
Beth:  My studio.


What color of M&Ms taste the best?
Beth:  I am not a fan of the sweets, I am more of a salt and vinegar chips kind of girl.


What is your theme song?
Beth:  Cherry Bomb - The Runaways.


What do you want to be when you grow up?
Beth:  Someone who can find a balance between work and life. Oh and I would also love to be the owner of a prize winning pot belly pig.


What do you do when you feel sad or depressed?
Beth:  Drink, run over kittens, shoot up old folks homes, and then go for a giant shopping spree at Kmart.  Kidding. I just put one foot in front of the other and hope that a normal routine will make the ghosts go way. It helps to blast Type O Negative in the headphones.


What is the last dream you remember and will you tell us about it?
Beth:  The memorable dreams are always the anxiety ridden ones. The last dream involved my mother, my little sister, and I getting a room on the top floor of a resort. It was spacious, modern, and had a view of the ocean. Before we had even unpacked our bags, there was suddenly an earthquake and the top 2 floors cracked off and slid into the ocean. It was very 9-11 like. Lots of screaming and burning and people throwing themselves out of windows. I was trying to save my family while being overly concerned with how to save my computer at the same time.


Is the monster in your bedroom, under your bed or in your closet?
Beth:  It is inside of me.


Describe the perfect kiss using no more than 5 words?
Beth:  Private, sensual, titillating, promising.


What is your greatest fear?
Beth:  As an artist I wake up every day compelled to make art. My greatest fear is to wake up without that overwhelming sense of urgency and passion to create.


What is your favorite comfort food?
Beth:  CURRY!


Do you truly feel loved?
Beth:  My mother and boyfriend make sure I do.


Thank you, Beth!

No comments: